my journey to jewelry

To see the World in a grain of sand,
and Heaven in a wild flower.
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
and Eternity in an hour.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Just to Catch Up...

Wow! I just realized I haven't updated this blog in almost a year!
That just won't do.
So, here we go...

A couple of years ago, during my junior year of college, a friend and I decided to go to hastings to find something to do (we were both poor, so we had to be creative). We went browsing through the impressive book collection they had there, and came upon a book called Pretty Little Things by Sallie Jean Alexander. I couldn't afford to buy the book at the time, but this friend and I looked through it with awe and wonder. Well, I kept on making jewelry when I could, and kept up my creativity by taking a couple of photography classes just for fun. And before my last class was over, I was again, addicted to making things on a weekly and daily basis. I had to have more!
So, I married an Electrical Engineer, and he taught me how to solder. Yay! I also started doing a lot of research about jewelry making. One day, I happened upon a lovely blog called Art Ego Retro Charms. http://arteego-shop.blogspot.com/ I was inspired by this full-time mom, selling her beautiful charms via email on her blog, and more importantly, how beautiful her work was. Now while they get a bit more romantic than I am hoping to make, they have been truly life changing for me to see! I will try to post a picture of what they look like.

As I mentioned before, it has always been a crucial part of my inmost being to create something. Ever since I was little, I was always playing with playdough and drawing. Even now as a grown woman, I constantly feel the urge to make something with my hands!
For the moment I have to put off everything (except my thirst for art) because we are waiting to close on a house. When we get this house, I will be able to set up a proper workspace! It was so difficult to work in our little college apartment because, well, it was little. I would have to work on the kitchen table, and then I would have to pack up all my tools and collages up after every project. Needless to say, it wasn't the most productive environment. I would love to put some pictures up of some of the charms I have made so far, but they are all packed away in a storage unit for now. But I will put up a picture of what inspired me to start.

Also, I have signed up for an etsy account, and my store is called ElenaBijoux. I have not made it an official store yet because i have no inventory. Plus I need to brush up on my skills, and come up with an official style for my jewelry. One thing after doing a year of research is that I realize my style has a little steampunk edge to it. The other thing is that I want to be eco-friendly and chic. I would love to be able to make pieces from antiques, and jewelry that has been thrown out (with a little updating of course). So, that is what I proverbially lean towards at present.

This is a picture from the art-eego charm shop.



I am someone who is a sucker for instant gratification, perpetual motion, getting the ball rolling. So this trial and error process while building this business more gradually than I would like, is really developing my patience. And looking back, I can see where the Lord was taking this. I am glad because I am going to need patience when I actually put myself out there and start selling some jewelry!

That will do for now... hopefully my blog posts will become less and less wordy and foreshadowing, and more and more about my actual product.

Thanks so much!

Caryn

No comments:

Post a Comment